The following reference guidelines only apply to assignments being created outside of our Freestyle tools. If you are working on an assignment marked as Freestyle, please review the References & Sources and In-Text Citations sections of the Help Center.
- Attribute research sources in the References section in title case. Use the Resources section, if you need more room.
- Include the source website. If not available add a note to the copy editor with the business phone number. If no phone, include the source's official email address and notate for the copy editor.
- Reference the information’s exact web page. Reference the homepage or a main landing page URL, if you use information from multiple sections or tabs of a website.
- For experts, include a URL listing their credentials.
- Use AP Style for naming online businesses or organizations.
- Format the Resources section the same as References.
- When you state a fact, specify where it came from, and write “See Reference 1” in parenthesis at the end of the sentence for fact checking purposes. The number should correspond with the order of your reference in the reference section. Include page numbers and dates of publication for offline sources. Ex: “According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, obesity in adults has increased by 60 percent within the last 20 years. (See Reference 1)”
- Online sources: Name of site or organization: Page Title
- REI: How to Choose a Cartop Boat Mount
- MayoClinic.com: Allergy-Proof Your House
- Internal Revenue Service: Identity Theft and Your Tax Records
- Online journal articles and abstracts: Journal Title: Article Title
- Journal of General Internal Medicine: Iodine-Induced Thyrotoxicosis After Ingestion of Kelp-Containing Tea
- Book: Name of Book; Author
- Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus; John Gray, Ph.D.
- Article or Study in Offline Publication: Name of Publication; Title of Article or Study; Author
- Time; Researchers Find First Signs of Autism Even in Infancy; Claudia Wallis
- For two authors, include their full names separated by the word "and."
- For three or more authors, include the first listed author and follow it with "et al."
- Time; Researchers Find First Signs of Autism Even in Infancy; Claudia Wallis et al.
- Person: Name of Person; Relevant Affiliation; Location of Person
- Dr. Jane Doe, DDS; Urban Dentistry; Austin, Texas